Friday, 3 October 2014

Home Extensions - Permitted Development: England and Wales

We are often asked by residential clients “do I need planning permission?”

 Planning Portal

 Permitted Development rights (PD rights) are a set of rules which can allow extension & remodelling works to your home without the approval of a full planning application. In recent years there have been significant changes to PD rights that now allow much more development than that previously accepted, sometimes, even if you have previously extended your home. This is also the case for non-residential development; however we will concentrate on residential development for now.

The most significant change is that your Permitted Development rights are no longer based on purely size criteria but are more related to the size of your existing home and the proximity of neighbouring buildings.

This opens up much more potential to extend and adapt your home; giving possibilities of being able to develop without the need for planning permission, even in instances where planning permission would not be granted. There are many scenarios covered by PD, with most, but not all, houses having an entitlement. Your Local Authority will hold the status record of your PD Rights, or we can find this out for you

For some introductory examples click on the house below to link to the Planning Portal website and view the “interactive house” which is a handy tool giving more guidance on what is possible.

Interactive House
Interactive House

Whilst the “interactive house” is a useful starting point, this is guidance only and the actual intricacies of PD rights are far more complex. We suggest you seek confirmation that your proposals are within the more specific criteria of PD allowances, and in many instances we would advise that a Lawful Development Certificate is obtained from the Local Planning Authority confirming that specific proposals are within PD rights.

CB3 Design can help provide design solutions that fall within Permitted Development; prepare and submit applications for Lawful Development Certificates; and give you design advice on what is achievable. Please give us a call for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment